Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Week 2

On October 22, I observed:

  • About 6 Annelids which are very large in comparison to any other organisms found in my microaquarium. They have a bunch of setae which help the move around.
  • About 5 Nematodes. These creatures are transparent with serpentine bodies and have a whiplike wriggly movement.
  • lots of Rotifers. I would say overall I have seen more rotifers than anything else. They have a layer of chitin which can collapse giving them an inchworm appearance.
  • 2 Cyclops. This organsim has a red eye on the top of its head. It also has a really fast movement almost like a flea.
  • 1 Difflugia. It was perfectly round with slimy legs reaching in and out of its body. It moved hardly at all.
None of these organisms seem to be favoring a particular area. They are just hanging out wherever they can get food I suppose.

I was able to identify all these organisms using the book Guide to Microlife.

No comments: